Educational Conferences | Overview
Multiple mechanisms exist to allow fellows to develop skills in assimilating and appraising evidence from scientific studies related to their patients.
Information technology and clinical outcomes analysis are areas that are frequently discussed at M&M conferences, didactic sessions, monthly Journal Club, and study sessions using current literature and recent publications.
The weekly educational conferences listed below provide ways to discuss both general and specific patient related issues to improve care and provide treatment algorithms based on clinical evidence and scientific studies.
- Airway Conference: Meets every Monday to discuss the care of complex airway patients scheduled for diagnostic evaluation or therapeutic intervention that week or in the very near future. The fellows review the history and medical record of complicated patients and present their cases to the staff. As part of their presentation the fellows are required to describe a detailed synopsis of the patient’s medical history, current condition, and suggestions of an appropriate treatment plan.
- Otology Conference: Meets once a month to discuss care of challenging otology cases seen during the previous month. Cases are presented by the fellows. As part of their presentation, the fellows are required to describe a detailed synopsis of the patient’s medical history, current condition, and suggest an appropriate treatment plan.
- Morbidity and Mortality Conference: Meets once a month. The fellows and residents are responsible for review and discussion of the past month’s critical cases at this meeting.
- Head & Neck Conference: Meets once a month to discuss care of patients with tumors of head and neck. These cases are presented and discussed by a multispecialty group of attending physicians.
- Radiology/Neuroradiology Conference: Meets once a month to review interesting and challenging radiology findings. These cases are presented by the attending physicians and reviewed with radiology staff.
- Cochlear Implant Meeting: Meets twice a month to discuss patients undergoing cochlear implantation. These cases are presented by the attending physicians and discussed with staff from the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, Cochlear Implant, and Center for Communication Enhancement Programs.
- Research Conference: Meets once every other month. Clinical or translational research is presented that is directly applicable to pediatric otolaryngology patients.