At Boston Children’s Hospital’s Department of Neurosurgery, our specialists provide comprehensive surgical care for diseases and disorders of the brain, spine, and nervous system.
Why choose the Department of Neurosurgery
When you and your child come to the Department of Neurosurgery, you’ll meet with neurosurgeons and specialists with expertise in children’s developing brains and who focus on using minimally invasive treatment techniques whenever possible.
We practice family centered care, which means that from your first visit, you’ll work with a team of professionals committed to meeting your child's medical, emotional, and psychosocial needs.
Our expertise in pediatric neurosurgery
We are proud to be the first pediatric neurosurgical service in the world. For nearly a century, our team has delivered innovative care to children needing complex surgical treatment for neurological conditions. Today, our team includes neurosurgeons, nurses, advanced practice providers, anesthesiologists, imaging professionals, child life specialists, and social workers who work together to deliver integrated, personalized care for every child.
Boston Children’s Hospital uses the latest treatments and techniques to improve and optimize surgical outcomes, including three-dimensional printing for surgical planning, which helps ensure our surgeons are prepared for every possibility during surgery.
We continue to push the field of neurosurgery forward through innovative and published research that offers new hope to children with brain, spine, and nervous system disorders. We have developed and refined some of the most influential advances in pediatric neurosurgery, including:
- pial synangiosis, which relocates healthy blood vessels in the brain to treat moyamoya disease
- ETV/CPC: an alternative to traditional shunt placement for some children with hydrocephalus and spina bifida
- endoscopic strip craniectomy, a minimally invasive treatment for craniosynostosis, which improves outcomes and reduces operating time
Our programs and services
At Boston Children’s, the depth and breadth of our programs and services help provide unmatched expertise to families from around the world looking for the best neurosurgical care possible for their children.
We work with centers and programs from across Boston Children’s, including:
- Brain Injury Center
- Brain Tumor Center
- Cerebral Palsy and Spasticity Center
- Cerebrovascular Surgery and Interventions Center
- Cleft and Craniofacial Center
- Complex Cervical Spine Program
- Epilepsy Center
- Head, Neck, and Skull Base Surgery Program
- Hydrocephalus Program
- Maternal Fetal Care Center
- Medulloblastoma Program
- Moyamoya Program
- Multidisciplinary Neurofibromatosis Program
- Spina Bifida and Spinal Cord Conditions Center
- Tethered Spinal Cord Program
- Vascular Anomalies Center